7 Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks for Kids and Families in and Around Boston
Whether your family is trying skating for the first time or your budding ice hockey or figure skating athlete is just looking for a change of scenery from their indoor lessons, skating on one of the outdoor ice skating rinks in and around Boston is a family activity that can be a fun, affordable way to get outside, get active, and burn off some energy. Most rinks offer skate rentals, so no need to haul your equipment or buy skates before you go. So if you have an hour to spare, dig out the hats and mittens and get ready to rosy up those cheeks!
We’ve rounded up six outdoor rinks in greater Boston that offer public skating hours. We recommend checking the rinks' official websites to verify the public skating hours haven't changed or been affected by the weather. So enjoy the season, and if the kids are clamoring for more ice time, please check out our round up of Boston area skating lessons.
Boston Common Frog Pond, Boston
Boston Common, Boston
- Hours: Mon-Thu 10am-4pm; Fri-Sat 10am-10pm; Sun 10am-9pm.
- Admission: Adults, Students, and Seniors $5; Children (13 and under) free. Season and lunchtime passes available.
- Nearest T stop: Park Street Station.
Set in the heart of the historic Common, the Frog Pond is packed with energy and rimmed by trees and the not-too-far away Boston city skyline. Skate rentals and sharpening available. There’s a café, and hot cocoa is available at the rental station. A pretzel vendor is never far away.
Jack Kirrane Ice Skating Rink at Larz Anderson Park, Brookline
23 Newton St. Brookline MA 02476
- Hours: Nov 25, 2013 to Mar 9, 2014. Check website for public skating schedule
- Admission: nonresident adult $7; resident adult $5; resident child (17 & under) $3; nonresident child (17 & under) $5. Skate rentals and sharpening available.
Located in stately, pastoral, 64 acre Larz Anderson Park , the Jack Kirrane Ice Skating Rink offers a snack bar, therapeutic skating, skating lessons, and, when there’s snow on the ground, nearby sledding.
Kelly Outdoor Skating Rink, Jamaica Plain
1 Marbury Terrace, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
- Hours: Check the website for the public skating schedule.
- Admission: Free!
- Nearest T station: Stony Brook stop on the Orange Line. Parking is available in the lot at the end of Marbury Terrace.
Some might say that the best thing here is the price, while others might mention the family and neighborhood atmosphere, children learning and practicing skating to the sound of Motown and soul music pulsing out of the speakers. Low cost skate rentals are available. Note that the 100’ by 65’ rink can get crowded at times. Lessons at the Kelly Rink in Jamaica Plain are provided on Saturdays from 11:30am to 1pm. For more information please call (617) 727-7000.
This rink is run by the DCR; please visit its website for a complete list of DCR indoor and outdoor skating rinks.
Kendall Square Community Outdoor Ice Skating, East Cambridge
300 Atheneum St. Cambridge MA 02142
- Hours: mid-December to mid March. See website for hours
- Admission: $5 adults; $3 Students/ Seniors: $1 children 13 and under
- T stop: Red Line – Kendall St. MIT/ validated parking also available.
Tucked right off of 3rd Street in Kendall Square, the Kendall Square Community Skating Rink has a modern feel with its amoeba-shaped rink and well-groomed ice. Locker rentals, skate rentals skate sharpening, seasons passes, a snack bar, and validated parking are all available. Children 13 and under skate for $1!
The Rink at the Charles Hotel, Harvard Square, Cambridge
1 Bennett St. Cambridge MA 02138
- Hours: Mon-Fri 4pm-7pm; Sat-Sun, Holidays 10am-6pm (mid-December - mid-March)
- Admission: $5 adults, students, and seniors; $3 children under the age of 12; $10 family (2 adults and 2 children).
- T Stop: Red Line – Harvard Square.
Nestled in the courtyard of the Charles Hotel, this 2,900 square foot rink has a storybook charm that can be ideal for the youngest children. Private lessons for one or two children are available at the Rink at the Charles Hotel by appointment. Prices run from $10 for a 15 minute lesson to $30 to a 45 minute lesson. Call for details.
Winter Skate at Patriot Place, Foxborough
- Hours: Mon-Thu 4pm-9pm; Fri 4pm-11pm; Sat 11am-11pm; Sun 11am-9pm (mid-Dec - Feb)
- Admission: Adults: $8, Seniors & Children 12 and under: $6; Skate Rentals: $4
The 60-by-140-foot, refrigerated ice surface is designed specifically for recreational skating, non-contact hockey and figure skating. The rink features an observation deck for non-skaters. Large enough to accommodate beginners and experts alike. On-site skate rentals, concessions and bathrooms are available, and parking is free.
Worcester Common Oval, Worcester
behind Worcester City Hall, 455 Main Street, Worcester
- Hours: Sat-Sun Dec 1pm-5pm, Jan-Feb 1pm-6pm; plus extended hours during Dec and Feb breaks
- Admission: $2; Children 6 and under free; Skate Rentals: $3
The 12,000-square-foot rink (that's 4,000 square feet larger than the size of the Rink at Rockefeller Center) is complete with amenities such as piped-in music, skate rentals, lockers, concessions, holiday lights, and more, making it a fun and affordable family-friendly activity.
Updated November 2013; Originally published December 2011